I actually think the assignee JIRA issue is a minor detail; what really matters
is do things get in and how.

So far, in the bits I've worked on, I've not encountered any problems. And as
I've stated in the hadoop-dev lists, my main concern there is long-standing
patches that languish because nobody invests the time to look at other people's
patches unless/until they are on the critical path or part of a
late-night-emergency-patch event (e.g. HADOOP-11730).  I'm as guilty there as
everyone else -and I know that a reason is that a lot of those external patches
come without good test coverage; getting something in usually involves dealing
with that.

So far, so good -and I'd like to praise Sean Owen here, as not only has he put
in effort, being in the same TZ means I get feedback faster. Sean, I owe you
beer the next time you are in Bristol.

If some JIRA has someone say "I'm working on it" and then nothing happens, it's
moot whether its in a drop-down list or a comment on the bottom. If someone
else wants to take it up, unless they like duplicating effort, starting off
other people's work -collaborating- is the best way to produce quality code.

The only thing I would change is somehow get newly created JIRAs posted onto a
list (dev?) that doesn't have the firehose of every other JIRA; issues@ is too
noisy.

-Steve