Sorry for the delay in getting back on this. So the RDD interface is
private in the 1.4 release but as Alek mentioned you can still use it by
prefixing `SparkR:::`.

Regarding design direction -- there are two JIRAs which cover major
features we plan to work on for 1.5. SPARK-6805 tracks porting high-level
machine learning operations like `glm` and `kmeans` to SparkR using the ML
Pipeline implementation in Scala as the backend.

We are also planning to develop a parallel API where users can run native R
functions in a distributed setting and SPARK-7264 tracks this effort. If
you have specific use cases feel free to chime in on the JIRA or on the dev
mailing list.

Thanks
Shivaram