Thanks for the links (first one is broken or private).

I think the main mistake I was making was looking at fix version instead of
target version (JIRA homepage with listings of versions links to fix
versions).

For anyone else interested in MLlib things, I am looking at this to see
what goals are: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-10324