Removing compatibility (with jdk, etc) can be done with a major release-
given that 7 has been EOLed a while back and is now unsupported, we have to
decide if we drop support for it in 2.0 or 3.0 (2+ years from now).

Given the functionality & performance benefits of going to jdk8, future
enhancements relevant in 2.x timeframe ( scala, dependencies) which
requires it, and simplicity wrt code, test & support it looks like a good
checkpoint to drop jdk7 support.

As already mentioned in the thread, existing yarn clusters are unaffected
if they want to continue running jdk7 and yet use spark2 (install jdk8 on
all nodes and use it via JAVA_HOME, or worst case distribute jdk8 as
archive - suboptimal).
I am unsure about mesos (standalone might be easier upgrade I guess ?).

Proposal is for 1.6x line to continue to be supported with critical
fixes; newer
features will require 2.x and so jdk8

Regards
Mridul