Since my original email, I've talked to a lot more users and looked at what
various environments support. It is true that a lot of enterprises, and
even some technology companies, are still using Java 7. One thing is that
up until this date, users still can't install openjdk 8 on Ubuntu by
default. I see that as an indication that it is too early to drop Java 7.

Looking at the timeline, JDK release a major new version roughly every 3
years. We dropped Java 6 support one year ago, so from a timeline point of
view we would be very aggressive here if we were to drop Java 7 support in
Spark 2.0.

Note that not dropping Java 7 support now doesn't mean we have to support
Java 7 throughout Spark 2.x. We dropped Java 6 support in Spark 1.5, even
though Spark 1.0 started with Java 6.

In terms of testing, Josh has actually improved our test infra so now we
would run the Java 8 tests: https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/12073