On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 10:22 AM, Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>> Which are unneeded?
>
> For starters permissive licenses are mentioned, NOTICE is for required
> notices only. I'd suggest you ask on general @incubator mailing list for a
> review. People there have knowledge and experience of what should and should
> not be in a NOTICE file.

The entries at the beginning are all Category B licenses, and ...
"Software under the following licenses may be included in binary form
within an Apache product if the inclusion is appropriately labeled
(see below):"

This is my understanding of "appropriate labeling".

> The source license and notice should be different from the binary licence and
> notice as the contents of the artefacts are different. [1]

It's a fair point that this would be better. I'll put it on my radar.

> It’s never necessary to have jar in a source release, they can be compiled as
> part of the build process. I’s suggest you read Roy’s view on this [2].

I don't think that's true, if a test needs a jar to load to test jar
source distro to support a JPEG test. It is not black-box compiled
code that is part of the software product, which is what Roy is
correctly calling out as not OK in a source release.