I believe Chris was being a bit facetious.

The ASF guidance is right, that it's important people don't consume
non-blessed snapshot builds as like other releases. The intended
audience is developers and so the easiest default policy is to only
advertise the snapshots where only developers are likely to be
looking.

That said, they're not secret or confidential, and while this probably
should go to dev@, it's not a sin to mention the name of snapshots on
user@, as long as these disclaimers are clear too. I'd rather a user
understand the full picture, than find the snapshots and not
understand any of the context.