Thanks for the specific mention of the new PySpark packaging Shivaram,

For *nix (Linux, Unix, OS X, etc.) Python users interested in helping test
the new artifacts you can do as follows:

Setup PySpark with pip by:

1. Download the artifact from
http://home.apache.org/~pwendell/spark-releases/spark-2.1.0-rc5-bin/pyspark-2.1.0+hadoop2.7.tar.gz
2. (Optional): Create a virtual env (e.g. virtualenv /tmp/pysparktest;
source /tmp/pysparktest/bin/activate)
3. (Possibly required depending on pip version): Upgrade pip to a recent
version (e.g. pip install --upgrade pip)
3. Install the package with pip install pyspark-2.1.0+hadoop2.7.tar.gz
4. If you have SPARK_HOME set to any specific path unset it to force the
pip installed pyspark to run with its provided jars

In the future we hope to publish to PyPI allowing you to skip the download
step, but there just wasn't a chance to get that part included for this
release. If everything goes smoothly hopefully we can add that soon (see
SPARK-18128 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-18128>) :)

Some things to verify:
1) Verify you can start the PySpark shell (e.g. run pyspark)
2) Verify you can start PySpark from python (e.g. run python, verify you
can import pyspark and construct a SparkContext).
3) Verify you PySpark programs works with pip installed PySpark as well as
regular spark (e.g. spark-submit my-workload.py)
4) Have a different version of Spark downloaded locally as well? Verify
that launches and runs correctly & pip installed PySpark is not taking
precedence (make sure to use the fully qualified path when executing).

Some things that are explicitly not supported in pip installed PySpark:
1) Starting a new standalone cluster with pip installed PySpark (connecting
to an existing standalone cluster is expected to work)
2) non-Python Spark interfaces (e.g. don't pip install pypsark for SparkR,
use the SparkR packaging instead :)).
3) PyPi - if things go well coming in a future release (track the progress
on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-18128)
4) Python versions prior to 2.7
5) Full Windows support - later follow up task (if your interested in this
please chat with me or see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-18136
)

Post verification cleanup:
1. Uninstall the pip installed PySpark since it is just an RC and you don't
want it getting in the way later (e.g. pip uninstall pypsark-2.1.0 )
2 (Optional). deactivate your pip environment

If anyone has any questions about the new PySpark packaging I'm more than
happy to chat :)

Cheers,

Holden :)