That makes sense. From the documentation it looks like the executors are
not supposed to terminate:
http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/running-on-mesos.html#fine-grained-deprecated

> Note that while Spark tasks in fine-grained will relinquish cores as they
> terminate, they will not relinquish memory, as the JVM does not give memory
> back to the Operating System. Neither will executors terminate when they’re
> idle.

I suppose your task to executor CPU ratio is low enough that it looks like
most of the resources are not being reclaimed. If your tasks were using
significantly more CPU the amortized cost of the idle executors would not
be such a big deal.

—
*Joris Van Remoortere*
Mesosphere