Actually, it is not just a question of a write only data source. The issue is
that in my case (and I imagine this is true for others), the schema is not read
from the database but is understood from the options. This means that I have no
way of understanding the schema without supplying the read options. On the
other hand, when writing, I have the schema from the dataframe.

I know the data source V2 API is considered experimental API and I have no
problem with it, however, this means that the change will require a change in
how the end user works with it (they suddenly need to add schema information
which they did not before), not to mention this being a regression.

As to the pull request, this only handles cases where the save mode is not
append, for the original example (having non existent path but have append will
still fail and according to the documentation of Append, if the path does not
exist it should create it).

I am currently having problem compiling everything so I can’t test it myself
but wouldn’t changing the relation definition in “save”:

val relation = DataSourceV2Relation.create(source, options, None,
Option(df.schema))

and changing create to look like this:

def create(source: DataSourceV2, options: Map[String, String], tableIdent:
Option[TableIdentifier] = None, userSpecifiedSchema: Option[StructType] =
None): DataSourceV2Relation = {
    val schema = userSpecifiedSchema.getOrElse(source.createReader(options,
userSpecifiedSchema).readSchema())
    val ident = tableIdent.orElse(tableFromOptions(options))
    DataSourceV2Relation(
      source, schema.toAttributes, options, ident, userSpecifiedSchema)
  }

Correct this?

Or even creating a new create which simply gets the schema as non optional?

Thanks,
        Assaf