I read through the contributing guide
<https://spark.apache.org/contributing.html>, it only mentions that data
correctness and data loss issues should be marked as blockers. AFAIK we
also mark regressions of current release as blockers, but not regressions
of the previous releases.

SPARK-24935 is indeed a bug, and is a regression from Spark 2.2.0. We
should definitely fix it, but doesn't seem like a blocker. BTW the root
cause of SPARK-24935 is unknown(at least I can't tell from the PR), so
fixing it might take a while.