Hi everyone, sorry these notes are late. I didn’t have the time to write
this up last week.

For anyone interested in the next sync, we decided to skip next week and
resume in early January. I’ve already sent the invite. As usual, if you
have topics you’d like to discuss or would like to be added to the invite
list, just let me know. Everyone is welcome.

rb

*Attendees*:
Ryan Blue
Xiao Li
Bruce Robbins
John Zhuge
Anton Okolnychyi
Jackey Lee
Jamison Bennett
Srabasti Banerjee
Thomas D’Silva
Wenchen Fan
Matt Cheah
Maryann Xue
(possibly others that entered after the start)

*Agenda*:

   - Current discussions from the v2 batch write PR: WriteBuilder and
   SaveMode
   - Continue sql-api discussion after looking at API dependencies
   - Capabilities API
   - Overview of TableCatalog proposal to sync understanding (if time)

*Notes*:

   - WriteBuilder:
      - Wenchen summarized the options (factory methods vs builder) and
      some trade-offs
      - What we need to accomplish now can be done with factory methods,
      which are simpler
      - A builder matches the structure of the read side
      - Ryan’s opinion is to use the builder for consistency and evolution.
      Builder makes it easier to change or remove parts without copying all of
      the args of a method.
      - Matt’s opinion is that evolution and maintenance is easier and good
      to match the read side
      - *Consensus was to use WriteBuilder instead of factory methods*
   - SaveMode:
      - Context: v1 passes SaveMode from the DataFrameWriter API to
      sources. The action taken for some mode and existing table state
depends on
      the source implementation, which is something the community
wants to fix in
      v2. But, v2 initially passed SaveMode to sources. The question is how and
      when to remove SaveMode.
      - Wenchen: the current API uses SaveMode and we don’t want to drop
      features
      - Ryan: The main requirement is removing this before the next
      release. We should not have a substantial API change without removing it
      because we would still require an API change.
      - Xiao: suggested creating a release-blocking issue.
      - *Consensus was to remove SaveMode before the next release, blocking
      if needed.*
      - Someone also stated that keeping SaveMode would make porting file
      sources to v2 easier
      - Ryan disagrees that using SaveMode makes porting file sources
      faster or easier.
   - Capatbilities API (this is a quick overview of a long conversation)
      - Context: there are several situations where a source needs to
      change how Spark behaves or Spark needs to check whether a
source supports
      some feature. For example, Spark checks whether a source supports batch
      writes, write-only sources that do not need validation need to tell Spark
      not to run validation rules, and sources that can read files with missing
      columns (e.g., Iceberg) need Spark to allow writes that are
missing columns
      if those columns are optional or have default values.
      - Xiao suggested handling this case by case and the conversation
      moved to discussing the motivating case for Netflix: allowing writes that
      do not include optional columns.
      - Wenchen and Maryann added that Spark should handle all default
      values so that this doesn’t differ across sources. Ryan agreed that would
      be good, but pointed out challenges.
      - There was a long discussion about how Spark could handle default
      values. The problem is that adding a column with a default creates a
      problem of reading older data. Maryann and Dilip pointed out that
      traditional databases handle default values at write time so the correct
      default is the default value at write time (instead of read time), but it
      is unclear how existing data is handled.
      - Matt and Ryan asked whether databases update existing rows when a
      default is added. But even if a database can update all existing
rows, that
      would not be reasonable for Spark, which in the worst case would need to
      update millions of immutable files. This is also not a reasonable
      requirement to put on sources, so Spark would need to have read-side
      defaults.
      - Xiao noted that it may be easier to treat internal and external
      sources differently so internal sources to handle defaults. Ryan pointed
      out that this is the motivation for adding a capability API.
      - *Consensus was to start a discuss thread on the dev list about
      default values.*
      - Discussion shifted to a different example: the need to disable
      validation for write-only tables. Consensus was that this use
case is valid.
      - Wenchen: capabilities would work to disable write validation, but
      should not be string based.
      - *Consensus was to use a capabilities API, but use an enum instead
      of strings.*
      - Open question: what other options should use a capabilities API?

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer