We certainly can't be the only project downstream of Spark that includes Scala
versioned artifacts in our release.  Our python library on PyPI depends on
pyspark, our Bioconda recipe depends on the pyspark Conda recipe, and our
Homebrew formula depends on the apache-spark Homebrew formula.

Using Scala 2.12 in the binary distribution for Spark 2.4.2 was unintentional
and never voted on.  There was a successful vote to default to Scala 2.12 in
Spark version 3.0.

   michael