Yes, there's an interesting idea that came up on members@: should
there be a status in Spark that doesn't include the commit bit or
additional 'rights', but is formally recognized by the PMC? An MVP,
VIP, Knight of the Apache Foo project. I don't think any other project
does this, but don't think it's _prohibited_. This could recognize
long-time contributors of any kind (code, docs, external) for whom
it's not yet right to make a committer. The point would be
recognition, because there's really nothing short of that the project
can formally do. I personally am not sure it adds enough to justify
the process, and may wade too deeply into controversies about whether
this is just extra gatekeeping vs something helpful.