I don't think we would want to cut 'branch-3.0' right now, which would
imply that master is 3.1. We don't want to merge every new change into
two branches.
It may still be useful to have `branch-3.0-preview` as a short-lived
branch just used to manage the preview release, as we will need to let
development on 3.0 in master continue while stabilizing the preview
release with a few selected cherry-picks, but that's only of concern
to the release manager.