To help with JIRA, I don't think you need to know a lot about the code
structure. I think we're talking about more basic triage, like, is it
a question that should go to the mailing list instead? is there enough
detail to understand it at all? is it tagged with a few appropriate
components, does its affected version make sense?  Finding duplicate
issues is hard but quite valuable if you can identify related issues
and mark them.

I can also tell you about using the JIRA Client to search for issues
that don't make much sense, like, open and targeting a released
version.

Actually I think anyone can modify issues in JIRA, so you don't need
special permission. You could consult with me or Hyukjin or dev@ after
making a few changes to check if they're on the right track.

iss...@spark.apache.org (IIRC) gets a copy of all the JIRA emails
about changes. I don't know if it's that useful to subscribe to.

Documenting the code structure - might be kind of hard in any detail,
but if you put together a doc that is useful and doesn't require a lot
of maintenance, that gives a good overview, we could consider adding
that to the developer docs.