I don't think there is a delay per se, because there is no hard release
date to begin with, to delay with respect to. It's been driven by, "feels
like enough stuff has gone in" and "someone is willing to roll a release",
and that happens more like every 8-9 months. This would be a shift not only
in expectation - lower the threshold for 'enough stuff has gone in' to
probably match a 6 month cadence - but also a shift in policy to a release
train-like process. If something isn't ready then it just waits another 6
months.

You're right, the problem is kind of - what is something is in process in a
half-baked state? you don't really want to release half a thing, nor do you
want to develop it quite separately from the master branch.
It is worth asking what prompts this, too. Just, we want to release earlier
and more often?