+1
Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 30, 2024, at 3:23 PM, DB Tsai <dbt...@dbtsai.com> wrote:

+1

On Apr 29, 2024, at 8:01 PM, Wenchen Fan <cloud0...@gmail.com> wrote:

To add more color:

Spark data source table and Hive Serde table are both stored in the Hive metastore and keep the data files in the table directory. The only difference is they have different "table provider", which means Spark will use different reader/writer. Ideally the Spark native data source reader/writer is faster than the Hive Serde ones.

What's more, the default format of Hive Serde is text. I don't think people want to use text format tables in production. Most people will add `STORED AS parquet` or `USING parquet` explicitly. By setting this config to false, we have a more reasonable default behavior: creating Parquet tables (or whatever is specified by `spark.sql.sources.default`).