It depends what you want so accomplish... You can always "sleep" in
Spout.nextTuple() to block the spout for a finite time.

As an alternative, you can limit the number of pending tuples be setting
parameter "topology.max.spout.pending" (be aware that tuples might time
out in this case).

Sending a signal from bolt to spout is not supported by Storm. If you
want to do this, you need to code it by yourself. But it is tricky to
do, I would not recommend it.

-Matthias