I don't know the "storm signals" project you mentioned. It might work
for you. It is not part of storm-core system.

However, I do not understand why you write to a file and read from it
again. Why not using one more bolt and just process the tuples there?

I would also not sleep the spout in your case, but only sync
writing/reading from file.

-Matthias