Github user bastiliu commented on the pull request:

    https://github.com/apache/storm/pull/647#issuecomment-156900352

    I think it is better to raise a warning intead of stopping to update worker
heartbeat. There are some topologys that might require to block at
execute()/nextTuple() to wait some essential initialization (e.g. establish
connection to database..).
    For the trigger mechanism of hanging on problem, it is a potential risk
that worker might be restart unexpectedly due to heartbeat timeout. Because we
consume a batch of tuples each time. Even through the time of processing one
tuple is short, the time of processing the batch could cause the timeout.