Github user revans2 commented on the pull request:

    https://github.com/apache/storm/pull/647#issuecomment-157757168

    I personally can see both sides of this.  There are situations where a
bolt/spout may be hung because of a bug, like a thread deadlock in some
external client, and restarting the worker will fix the issue.  But I agree
that this should be a very rare situation.

    I don't get the argument that this is expensive if we get it wrong.  We
already fail fast if some bolt or spout throws an unexpected exception.  I
don't see this being that different.

    A bolt or spout not able to process anything for 5 mins seems like an OK
time to see if we can restart things, especially for a low latency framework.
I personally am +1 on the concept of having timeouts.  I would like to see some
changes to the implementation of this patch, but there is no reason to go into
that if @kishorvpatil has a -1 on even the idea of it.  @kishorvpatil and
@bastiliu have I swayed you at all with my argument?