Github user roshannaik commented on the pull request:

    https://github.com/apache/storm/pull/1250#issuecomment-200609948

    My gut feeling based on profiling storm recently is that there are much
bigger bottlenecks elsewhere that will eclipse any potential improvement this
can deliver.  I would recommend verifying with a simple and quantify the
performance improvement in throughput / latency this delivers.

      Having said that, assuming it is a safe optimization, even if it does not
improve perf in the current code base, as other bottlenecks get addressed..
eventually this should help.