We don’t need a formal vote if we have a general consensus.

This is an issue I’d like to see fixed since it drives me nuts and is amplified
by the number of mailing lists I’m subscribed to.

The requirement to link github pull request comments, etc. to JIRA originates
from the ASF policy that all artifacts of the decision-making process (email,
issues, etc.) be archived on ASF-controlled hardware. The linking of github
activity to JIRA partly addressed that, but it’s not optimal (e.g. What happens
when a PR isn’t linked to a JIRA?).

Personally, I want to get notified of all JIRA and github activity, but what I
don’t want is 4 copies of every notification. I have some email filters to help
alleviate that, but it’s not a good solution.

One short-term solution for those who don’t care about JIRA/GitHub traffic
would be to setup issues@storm.a.o <mailto:issues@storm.a.o> and funnel all
generated mail there (that’s just an INFRA ticket followed by some patience).
That won’t alleviate the issue of duplicates for those that subscribe to that
list.

Another option that’s available now (it wasn’t in the past) is to switch over
to github issues and stop using JIRA. Then people could set their own
notification preferences in github. The downside is to close issues, it would
require a git commit (the same mechanism we use today to close abandoned pull
requests). Another downside is that issues would be read-only, so we wouldn’t
be able to add labels, etc.

Actually as I was typing this I was also chatting with INFRA about it. And it
turns out you can funnel github activity into the work log for a JIRA, rather
than comments. That will eliminate the duplicate emails.

So it seems the solution might be:

1. Funnel github activity to the associated JIRA work log.
2. setup issues@storm.a.o <mailto:issues@storm.a.o>. and route JIRA
notification to that.

That would keep dev@ clear of the machines. ;) How does that sound?

-Taylor