Github user srdo commented on the issue:

    @jfenc91 Ouch. I've never seen LEO drop like that unless unclean leader
election was enabled. Out of curiosity which Kafka version are you running, and
do you have unclean leader election enabled for this topic? If not, consider
trying the kafka mailing list. I don't think the spout can or should handle the
Kafka log suddenly getting truncated like that, since it's really a data loss
scenario on the Kafka side. I can't really think of any way the spout could
handle it other than resetting to earliest/latest, which it already does.

    If the culprit is unclean leader election then it would have also happened
in Kafka 0.8.