Github user erikdw commented on the issue:

    @srishtyagrawal : we didn't *choose* to set it to 1, we just inherited the
default of the google style in
[google_checks.xml](https://github.com/checkstyle/checkstyle/blob/checkstyle-7.7/src/main/resources/google_checks.xml#L167).
  I'm personally fine with 3, you can make that change too.

    I would note that the checkstyle thing is hitting constants (`final
<type>`) too, from [my analysis of the checkstyle-result.xml
files](https://gist.github.com/erikdw/775de855745c4926ebe131651c04cde8).  That
is a result of another deviation from the default, where `ignoreFinal` is
[false for
google_checks.xml](https://github.com/checkstyle/checkstyle/blob/checkstyle-7.7/src/main/resources/google_checks.xml#L166),
 instead of [true as is the
default](http://checkstyle.sourceforge.net/config_naming.html#AbbreviationAsWordInName).
  We should *definitely* change that to `true`!

    We might want to do a comparison of all the defaults against what we've
inherited from The GOOG.