The linked changelog (https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=storm.git;a=
blob_plain;f=CHANGELOG.md;h=50878fab679973a1230466920006dc0746ffddd5;hb=
eac433b0beb3798c4723deb39b3c4fad446378f4) seems to contain only changes up
to 1.0.3. It's just a problem with the link, the changelog in the src tar
is correct.

Unpacked the binary tar to a new directory.
Started Nimbus, a supervisor and the UI daemon via the storm.cmd script.
The cluster was using the default configuration.
Unpacked the src tar, and built ExclamationTopology and the
storm-kafka-client KafkaSpoutTopologyMainNamedTopics against the Nexus
staging repository.
Submitted storm-starter ExclamationTopology
* Changed log level and verified that the log level changed
* Tried to use Logviewer, but this fails on Windows due to
"java.util.regex.PatternSyntaxException:
Unexpected internal error near index 1
 \
 at org.apache.storm.daemon.logviewer$get_topo_port_
workerlog.invoke(logviewer.clj:123)". This bug isn't new, so it's not a
blocker IMO. I think it's probably fixed on master with
* Deactivated/activated and killed the topology, this worked as expected
Submitted storm-kafka-client KafkaSpoutTopologyMainNamedTopics using the
directions at https://github.com/apache/storm/tree/v1.0.4/external/
storm-kafka-client#build-and-run-bundled-examples, running against a local
Kafka instance.

The topologies seemed to run fine once I got past a few Windows specific
bugs:
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STORM-2451 which has a workaround
listed on the issue. I don't know if it makes sense to pull the bugfix back
into 1.0.x?
* There's an error log when log files are rolled, seemingly due to Windows'
file locking behavior. Seems like more of an annoyance than a real issue,
since the files appear to roll correctly. The log is "STDERR Thread-2
[INFO] 2017-07-25 13:00:45,639 Thread-5-exclaim2-executor[7 7] ERROR Unable
to delete file E:\apache-storm-1.0.4\logs\workers-artifacts\production-
topology-1-1500978841\6700\worker.log: java.nio.file.FileSystemException
E:\apache-storm-1.0.4\logs\workers-artifacts\production-
topology-1-1500978841\6700\worker.log: The process cannot access the file
because it is being used by another process."

Other minor issues:
* Noticed in the src tar that the integration-test pom is pointing to
1.0.3-SNAPSHOT instead of 1.0.4. This is also an issue on the 1.0.x-branch
branch on github.
* Non-HA Nimbus won't start when previously deployed topologies are not in
storm-local, giving the message "o.a.s.zookeeper main-EventThread [INFO]
code for all active topologies not available locally, giving up
leadership.". This is annoying when trying to do a rolling upgrade, since
it is easy to screw up by installing the new Storm version in a new
directory rather than overwriting the old installation. I think we should
add storm.local.dir to the comments in conf/storm.yaml and encourage people
to set it to a directory outside the storm dir.
* It looks like the blob store may be using the wrong base path when
storm.local.dir is relative. I get the directory
STORM_HOME/bin/storm-local/blobs
in addition to the expected STORM_HOME/storm-local. I'm guessing the path
is based on which working directory "storm nimbus/supervisor" is being run
from.

I think since most of these issues have workarounds and were likely present
in 1.0.3, they shouldn't block the release.

It might make sense to fix the integration-test pom and maybe pull
STORM-2451 back too. Since those issues are so minor I don't want to block
the release for that alone though. +1