I am in favor of not incubating storm-kafka-client but rather keep it as part
of the storm project. We can consider supporting a separate branch, but before
we agree to go that route I would like to hear lessons learned from community
members that have been part of similar transitions in other projects.

As for not back-porting all the storm-kafka-client changes onto 1.0.x and 1.1.x
branches, I expressed my opinion in the JIRA when the this discussion first
came up. Basically, I don’t think it is feasible to back-port everything.
Furthermore, 1.2.0 will be a minor version for which it is reasonable to expect
users of earlier versions to upgrade to without major hassle. In any software
it is expected that there will be divergence across minor versions. New
versions become available because they have improvements and and sometimes new,
small, features in it. If the user wants to benefit from those improvements,
she/he will have to upgrade to the most recent version. Compatibility should be
accounted for across versions, but as Stig mentioned, for the most part we
believe it has been.

Although it is possible to copy the 1.x storm-kafka-client changes to 1.1.x and
1.0.x, that same argument could be made for every other connector or storm
component, and I am not sure it’s a good principle. I just think that it’s
natural and beneficial to the community and the product that users keep
upgrading (especially across backwards compatible versions), rather that
keeping on patching things up.

A few more opinions on storm-kafka-client
- Can we identify the pros and cons of keeping Kafka 0.9 dependencies, and
unless there are very strong reasons not to do so, simply upgrade to a more
recent version.
- Although storm-kafka-client was not labeled as beta, technically it was beta,
and in practice it was used by users as beta. As far as I know, users that used
it from the beginning were still exploring it, and I don’t think that until a
lot of the improvements came in it made it to production. So Beta is a nice
label to have behind a component that can cover for some necessary non
backwards compatible changes. However, I don’t think it would have made a world
of difference in practice for storm-kafka-client.
- The Kaka community has at times made non backward compatible changes. If
Kafka itself makes such changes, is it that concerning if storm-kafka-client
has to make or or two such non backward compatible changes?

Thanks,
Hugo

On Jan 25, 2018, at 9:47 AM, P. Taylor Goetz