You are getting error as your root user doesn't have the JAVA_HOME
environment variable.

You may try following options.
1. Switch to root and run (sudo su). However this is not recommended.
2. Try "sudo -E"
3. Try setting JAVA_HOME with sudo. i.e. sudo
JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-oracle
./stratos.sh
4. Install Stratos in a directory having full access to your user.