Thanks Uday. I have gotten the concept.

First of all, my questions were mostly on
.json definition file

For example:

a)     What does the below mean?  Why
 provider is shown as apache and version
as 7? Are we saying php version 7 and is from
        apache.org?
   type":"php",
    "provider":"apache",
  ,
    "version":"7",
b)   How does .json would
like say we created a puppet manifest to have tomcat and mysql on same
cartridge?

Secondly,

  The doc
says that default service-name is puppet agent install and is a generic
cartridge. If I provide service name as
  mysql, would it also install puppet agent?

Thirdly,

  In the
base puppet manifest, I see the following and would like to know what does
these mean? Especially, would like to
  know from where this ip 10.4.128.7' came from?

  $package_repo         = 'http://10.4.128.7'
  $local_package_dir    = '/mnt/packs'

 In the nodes.pp, I see the below and would
like to know what is this
 with respect to above values in base manifest
   $local_package_dir
= '/mnt/packs'

Fourth'ly,

 In tomcat manifest init.pp, I see the target
set as /mnt and not /mnt/packs. Why this is different to the above?

 $target
= '/mnt'

 Fifth'ly,

  If at all, if I want to create oracle cartridge, i need to create puppet
module manifests and templates right? And here I have choice to pickup the
binary(source => "puppet:///modules/java/${package}",) just like how java
module is created or pickup the os specific way of picking up package
command(Package['mysql-server'],) just like mysql puppet module manifest was
created

Please kindly respond with details of the working etc.