+1 for STOMP. As per the [2] it can be used to communicate with RabbitMQ as
well. AFAIK even with the current cartridge agent implementation (java) we
do not use AMQP as the messaging protocol.

And the same time we can do some research on MQTT as well [1]

[1] http://mqtt.org/wiki/doku.php/libraries

*Dinesh Bandara*
Software Engineer
WSO2 Inc.; http://wso2.com