Hi Shaheed,

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 10:01 PM, Shaheedur Haque (shahhaqu) <
shahh...@cisco.com> wrote:

>  Let me come to the alias part in a moment, because I have thought about
> that last night J.
>

> The question I posed might be phrased like this:
>
> ·        My expectation is that startup orders were originally meant to
> be expressed as pairwise relationships.

Not exactly, we initially implemented them as a collection of lists, not as
a collection of pairs. May you understood it differently.

>  ·        So, I don’t understand the significance of the first part of
> your example (highlighted in red below).
>
> o   Is the idea that this is saying “start oracle1, then cassandra1 and
> then tomcat1”?

It starts instances in the following order:
oracle1 -> cassandra1 -> tomcat1
             -> redis1

Oracle1 starts first, then cassandra1 and redis1 are started in parallel,
once cassandra1 is started, tomcat1 is started.

 The question about aliases is an interesting one. As you know, I disagree
> with the idea that aliases are used instead of the basic name in these
> constructs because from a user’s point of view, s/he only cares about the
> original names. AFAICS, aliases are a manifestation of the internal
> implementation of Stratos and do not belong in the public JSON. To the
> extent that they are already there, and already used for other stuff, does
> not justify proliferating their use.

IMO we cannot use cartridge types and group names here because they can be
reused in the same application multiple times. That's why we have used
aliases for specifying the startup order.

Thanks
Imesh