Sending this again...as it seems to have got lost...

Theres many reasons why url validation can fail - theres been a fair
discussion on this list on just whether a slash is valid at the end of a url
this week. Add to that allowing different  configuration options for url
validation somebody could believe they are typing in a valid url and get
frustrated when all it tells them is "invalid url". Maybe that list I put up
was over the top - perhaps just telling them which part is wrong would be
better (i.e. scheme, authority, path, query or fragment - or the general
format).

Adding an additional validate method to UrlValidator so that there is a
choice of either getting a true/false or a more detailed code would be
relatively straight forward and would provide a useful alternative -
plugging it into struts so that there is either a single message or multiple
messages is another thing. I must have missed a message because I see in
this one Robert Leland asked the same thing.

I can think of two approaches - either having one error message and several
arguments, something like the following:

<field ....>
    <arg name="url.format" key="url.format" position="0"/>
    <arg name="url.scheme" key="url.scheme" position="0"/>
    <arg name="url.authority" key="url.authority" position="0"/>
    <arg name="url.path" key="url.path" position="0"/>
    <arg name="url.query" key="url.query" position="0"/>
    <arg name="url.fragment" key="url.fragment" position="0"/>
<field>

or mutiple error messages:

<field ....>
    <msg name="url.format" key="error.url.format"/>
    <msg name="url.scheme" key="error.url.scheme"/>
    <msg name="url.authority" key="error.url.authority" />
    <msg name="url.path" key="error.url.path" />
    <msg name="url.query" key="error.url.query" />
    <msg name="url.fragment" key="error.url.fragment"/>
<field>

To get either of these to work would require slightly different mechanism to
than that provided currently by the struts Resources class through
getActionError(request, va field) but it wouldn't be a big deal to add an
additional getActionError method.

Anyway it probably should be a take it or leave it option - if your happy
with a single message then fine, but have the option to allow url validation
to be configured to output more specific information about the errror.

What do you think, barking up the wrong tree, just plain barking or worth
pursuing further?

Niall