Niall,
have a look at org.apache.commons.validator.util.Flags to see how it's done.

Adam

On 04/02/2004 09:50 PM Niall Pemberton wrote:
I'll have a look a doing a patch. I'm probably being really stupid but how
do you mean group by powers of 2? You mean 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64 etc. - but
how would it group?

Niall

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Leland" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Struts Developers List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, April 02, 2004 7:37 PM
Subject: Re: Fw: UrlValidator() takes options - but how?

Comments In Line.

-----Original Message-----
From: Niall Pemberton [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> While I

was testing this I did have another thought - UrlValidator just

returns true or false when it validates and gives no indication of what

bit

of the validation failed. What do you think of changing it so it returns
some kind of error code so that a more meaningful message could be

returned

to the user?

Something like

Code        Condition
   0             valid
   101         Invalid Characters
   102         Invalid Structure

   201         Invalid Scheme Format
   202         Invalid Scheme Value (show valid scheme values)

   301         Invalid Authority Format
   302         Invalid Authority IP Address
   303         Invalid Authority Host Name
   304         Invalid Authority - not IP Address or Hostname
   305         Invalid Port

   401         Invalid Path Format
   402         Invalid Path - ends with /
   403         Invalid Path - two slashes not allowed
   404         Invalid Path - slashes/dots

501 Invalid Query format

601 Fragment Not Allowed

The only thing is how to configure validator to output 16 different messages?

Given that fits with the Validator framework, I know its implementation

would be easy. The grouping of error message is also nice.

Since we could use an int/long then I would probably group items by powers

of two, but thats just a preference. If you have already created a patch with the above scheme I would commit it unchanged.

-Rob

struts 1.2 + tomcat 5.0.19 + java 1.4.2
Linux 2.4.20 Debian