In order to push forward on full deprecation of ActionErrors, I propose adding the following method to ActionForm:

public ActionMessages validateForm(ActionMapping mapping,
                                                  HttpServletRequest request) {

        return validate(mapping, request);

    }

and then changing one line in the Request Processing chain:

        ActionMessages errors = form.validate(mapping, request);
        ActionMessages errors = form.validateForm(mapping, request);

I'm not sure now why we haven't done this earlier. Someone suggested it on one of the lists a while ago and it seemed clear once I saw it, but I haven't had time to do anything about it.

My inclination is to do this only on the 1.3 (HEAD) branch, and to make the change in RequestProcessor.java even though it is slated for obsolescence, and then also to make the change in o.a.s.chain.AbstractValidateActionForm (which actually still uses ActionErrors, actually.)

If it didn't seem strange that it hasn't been done already, I might have just gone ahead and done it without raising the question -- so I'm wondering if I'm missing something?

Joe

--
Joe Germuska
[EMAIL PROTECTED]