James,
  I wrestled with this a long time ago.  There are some dependencies
in validator that prevent faces from working with 1.2+.  Somewhere
there is a patch, I don't really have time to look it up right now,
but it is in bugzilla under my name.  If I recall correctly there were
also some depricated methods in 1.1 that faces was using (I could be
imagining that though) Craig felt it best to keep faces building with
1.1, as there was a bigger userbase.
Michael