At 7:38 AM -0800 3/16/05, Konstantin Priblouda wrote:
--- Joe Germuska <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 What is your antecedent for "this"?  Having an
 ActionCommand
 interface?  Using an IoC container as an
 ActionFactory?  Having a
 ThreadLocal store the current ActionContext?

action factory going to IoC container for actions exists already. ( Pico/Nanocontainer )

Understood. Spring does it too. I was just asking Jack what he meant when he wrote
" I definitly don't think that this is a good idea." and "This is a huge move which has nothing to do with the composable request processor. I would suggest that this is precipitious."

At 3:41 PM +0000 3/16/05, Niall Pemberton wrote:
OK, "POJO Actions" is a bad example.

perhaps, but I think having that in the subject line helped stir up all this discussion ;-)

IMO minimizing direct reference to
Action and ActionForm in the Commands and Context provided with
ComposableRequestProcessor would mean that, for example, replacing the
current concrete Action with an equivalent interface (say Actionable) would
be simpler. The only thing that would need doing is replacing the part of
the Command that actually executes the Actionable's method, rather than
having to create new Commands & Context that duplicate the "default"
flavours.

I think that o.a.s.chain.commands.ActionCommand (committed last night) is an example of this. We could even remove "extends Command" if we wanted to free things which aren't chain Commands from implementing a method which always casts the Context and passes to execute(ActionContext). I almost did it that way.

While we could make something called Actionable and removed from the chain sub-area, ActionContext still extends o.a.commons.chain.Context, so it begins to be disingenuous to keep that distance. Still, decoupling the interface from chain.Command may have been the better way to do it.

Joe
--
Joe Germuska
[EMAIL PROTECTED]