I'm kind of surprised with all the replies indicating the willingness to think much more revolutionary rather than evolutionary... I can't say I expected that, but I'm really quite happy about being wrong :)

I really think web applications to this point, on the whole, have been rather lousy. I'm not saying anything new when I say that web-based applications set interface design back at least five years. We're only now starting to recover from that bit.

With that thought in mind, I personally see the next evolution almost really being two frameworks that work in tandem... and maybe even it is *literally* that... one the usual server-side framework, but now with a client-side component that is a fair ways beyond anything we have today. They have to be intimately tied together to really make it worth it, but I see them both being fairly complex endeavors.

We're seeing a lot of experimentation in that direction... ASP.Net, JSF, all the various Java frameworks out there, more open-source projects than you can count... but I'm not sure any of them are quite "right" yet. So, when Martin says "We've learned a lot from Struts' evolution, and we can and should learn from how other projects have tackled some of the same problems", I couldn't agree more... I think the next evolution of Struts will most definitely be a fusion of a lot of the ideas we're playing with today, and more that we haven't yet thought of.

Exciting times for sure :)

Frank

Martin Cooper wrote:
This looks really good, and fits well with my belief that the way to get to Struts 2.0 is to start by building a new core first, and then adding a compatibility layer on top of that to help people migrate.

From my own perspective, it shouldn't be a surprise to most on this list

that I have a particular interest in facilitating the creation of rich web applications - applications which may be component based, but not server side components. This proposal sets out on the right path towards that goal, and I'm planning on furthering that.

One other aspect that Don didn't mention explicitly (but which I know he had in mind) is designing for testability. Right from the get-go, we need to build in tests wherever we can.

We've learned a lot from Struts' evolution, and we can and should learn from how other projects have tackled some of the same problems. Also, as Don said, it's time we started collaborating more closely with some of these other projects, so that we can pool our resources rather than duplicate effort.

--
Martin Cooper