I consider the "JSF-is-hopeless" megaphone to be hype also. :) I really do think JSF has great potential, especially as tools vendors latch onto it. What I object to is the "JSF-is-here-Struts-is-dead" hype. My personal belief is that JSF itself -- the technology that was described in David's article -- will succeed mainly in the view tier. In my opinion, it is not the best option for a comprehensive app framework... but then again, a benefit of it being consummately pluggable is that it can integrate with other technologies. Including Struts or other controller frameworks.

...Classic and Shale can be healthier together than apart.

+1

BTW, there's been some blurring of the distinction between Shale and JSF (a distinction which does exist for now ;) ). I'm talking about JSF alone here, as was the "Top Ten Reasons..." article. I think that Shale, while it can't be trumpeted as a Standard the way JSF is, adds enormous value to JSF.

Rich

p.s. In some ways, JSF is a direct competitor to ASPX in ASP.NET, which is still figuring out the whole navigational-controller thing. In the rare event that I imagine myself to be on a "side", in a "battle", I consider myself to be on the side that contains JSF+Struts+Shale, looking across the field at ASP.NET. :) And even then, I'm only on that side because I want the more community-driven ecosystem to prevail.