On 11/1/05, Frank W. Zammetti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, November 1, 2005 11:13 am, Michael Jouravlev said:
> > Struts Core sounds like a kernel for all Struts subprojects, while
> > AFAIK Shale and Ti do not depend on it. So, in a way this name is
> > misleading. Not that I can suggest something better ;-)
>
> I think that's a fair point, although I think it's something everyone
> could probably live with.
>
> What about this suggestion... what about if there was a Struts
> Experimentation sub-project, or something like that, which itself included
> sub-projects like Shale, Ti, etc.? I think that would more clearly
> describe what Ti and Shale and the like are and how they relate to what we
> know as Struts today.

No, not really.

Organisationally with respect to the ASF, Struts is the project. That is
what we have a PMC for, as well as all the organisational infrastructure.
Within that project, we are free (within limits) to structure as we will. We
have chosen to structure as a set of sub-projects, along with an area for
experimentation which we have named the sandbox. This structure is reflected
in the SVN repo, where there is a top level directory for each sub-project,
and one for the sandbox. Sub-projects are created as a result of a vote,
while experiments can pretty much "just show up" in the sandbox.

I point all this out to clarify that Shale is a sub-project that we have
voted on, whereas Ti is, at this point, still an experiment in the sandbox.
Thus Shale has the same status within the project as other sub-projects such
as Core, Taglibs and Flow.

It's also worth pointing out that while Shale is currently the only
sub-project that does not depend on Core, that will not continue to be the
case. We are in the process of moving Tiles towards a standalone component
specifically so that it does not depend on Core, and at some point the new
Tiles will become a sub-project. (It may go on to a life as a full-blown ASF
project of its own, but that's another story.) And then there are other
components in the sandbox, such as Overdrive and Ti, that may become
sub-projects when they are ready.

At some point, we may need to distinguish more clearly between Struts, the
ASF project, and Struts, the framework, and I think that's essentially what
we're starting to see a need for in these threads. It's not really all that
different from Spring, which started out as just Spring, the IoC framework,
and is now so many other things as well.

--
Martin Cooper