==////==

> Pilgrim, Peter wrote:
>
> > Ok great so is Ted Husted also involved in the 2nd edition
> > and I presume Manning is fine with both Struts in Action
> > and Webwork in Action in the future ``merging'' as one.
>
> Ted has helped early on by reviewing our proposal and TOC,
> but the book is being
> written by Nick Heudecker (of Hibernate Quickly) and myself.
> I actually haven't
> talked to Manning since the merger was announced :) but they
> did know big
> changes were in the works.
>
> > I have just read Niall's question and answer. So WebWork will
> > probably usurp the Struts Core layer at some point, correct?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean.  The WebWork 2.2 code will become
> Struts Ti core,
> hopefully the basis for Struts Action 2.0.  I see both Struts
> Action 1.x and
> Struts Action 2.0 as viable frameworks for developers to work with.

If I understand you rightly the traditional `RequestProcessor'
derived process flow, namely

        ActionServlet => RequestProcessor => Action => View

is gone to be replaced by the WebWork / X Work processing
chain.

If someone has invested in Commons Chain command will they
be able to quick migrate or directly use Struts 2.x
engine.

Is there an equivalent of the `RequestProcessor' concept in the
webwork/xwork?

> > Ok it makes a little clearer.
> > So developers have a choice?
> >
> > 1) Learn the WebWork 2.x philosophy
> >
> > 2) Don't learn WW2 way but use the Struts compatibility layer
> > instead until it runs out of steam or is it deprecated.
>
> Sure, although I imagine the compatibility layer is there
> mostly for application
> migration and not so much for new development.  I think there
> is a lot of value
> in being able to upgrade your application piece by piece and
> not requiring a
> huge rewrite, which is I believe one of the big selling
> points of Struts Ti as
> opposed to JSF.
>
> > That begs the question, what is the best way for Struts developer
> > to learn WebWork 2.
>
> I'd say pick up the WebWork in Action book
> (http://www.manning.com/books/lightbody) written by the
> primary WebWork
> developers themselves.  Of course once Struts in Action 2ed
> comes out, it will
> be better ;)

Has anyone writen a WebWork introductio guide for experienced
Struts users yet?

> > So Struts Ti definitely requires Java 5, because of annotations.
>
> Nope.  The first phase of Struts Ti won't have the annotation
> stuff in there,
> but the second phase will probably use a nifty annotation/tag
> layer Rich Feit of
> Beehive wrote which allows developers the choice to use Java
> 5 annotations or
> XDoclet style tags.
>
> Therefore, to be clear, Struts Ti will only require Java 1.4
> or greater, just
> like Struts Action 1.3.

That's good to know.

> > Thanks for answering my questions
>
> No problem.  They were such good questions, in fact, I'll try
> to make them into
> a FAQ on the wiki here soon, as I imagine they will be quite
> common. :)

Ok that's a great idea

--
Peter Pilgrim :: J2EE Software Development
Operations/IT - Credit Suisse First Boston,

disclaimer:

http://www.csfb.com/legal_terms/disclaimer_external_email.shtml