Incorporating the helpful feedback, here are the revised step 1 changes:
Milestone changes
  - Add a "TBD" milestone
  - Remove all "Family" milestones and move their bugs to "TBD"
  - Rename "(.*) Milestone" to \1 (redundant w/o the family ones)
  - Add milestones: 1.2.7, 1.2.8, 1.2.9, 1.3.1, 1.4.0, 1.0.0, 1.0.2, 1.1.0, 0.9

Component changes
  - Rename the BSF component to Scripting
  - Add "Action" component
  - Remove the following components and move their bugs to Action:
Controller, Validator Framework, Digester, Documentation, File Upload,
Test, Utilities and move their bugs to Action component
  - Rename the Custom Tags to Taglibs
  - Rename Examples as Apps
  - Rename Standard Actions to Extras
  - Rename Struts Flow to Flow
  - Rename Struts-Faces Library to Faces
  - Rename Tiles framework to Tiles

If we add the "TBD" milestone, I encourage everyone to only add tickets to it if it is a clear, reachable goal that we want to achieve. While I'm afraid it will attract stagnant tickets no one cares about, I understand some folks find it useful, and I'm usually wrong anyways :)

Next, I see the following steps:

Step 2:
- Move closed tickets included in soon-to-be-released projects to their milestone.
 - Wade through TBD tickets and assign to milestones

While I like Martin's idea of only putting tickets to milestones when someone commits to resolving them, I'm afraid it would distort the roadmap by giving the wrong impression that we are always close to a release. Perhaps we could start using the "Assigned" field more often to mark which ones have been taken up and which are just hanging.

Step 3: Vote on moving to JIRA. I have this last, because I want to capitalize on the consensus we've achieved here before we start a new debate. :)