Craig McClanahan wrote:
Call it a social experiment :-).  I'm continually amazed at how many people
treat open source projects as a binary distribution, and never bother to go
get the source.  Several commons packages, as well as Spring, do it this way
... I want to see if it encourages people to actually look.  (In addition,
it makes life much easier when you're trying to use a debugger to have the
source code for framework classes available.)

I certainly prefer to have the source code bundled along with the binaries.
As everyone on the list probably knows, Eclipse and other IDEs require the source code be
"attached" to the libraries for certain features, such as in-line documentation
and ctrl-clicking into source code.  So, explaining to a new person that they need to
download the binary and the source can complicate things just a little bit.  Ideally, 3
downloads would be available: binary-only, source-only, and both binary and source.
Social experiments are cool, though.

FWIW,

-Dave