My 2 cents (I know, you were dying to know how I feel ;):

I want to be a part of this (and many other) communities, and that means keeping up to date with the discussions that happen for a given project.

To that end, mailing lists work, and forums do not. It's nice to be able to filter messages but that's not a deal breaker for me. What is a deal breaker for me is how much time I have to spend going through all of the communications (discussions, commits, wiki updates, whatever). Hell, if someone would email the irc transcripts for any project I'm a part of, I'd say "thank you, may I have another".

For me, it's about time management, with mailing lists, it's as simple as reading the subject and deleting the entire thread with the push of 1 key, or if I'm interested, I don't have to hit anything, I just glance down to the reading pane and read until I'm satisfied that either:
 a) I can help, so I hit reply
 b) I can help, but no time at the moment, delete
 c) I can't help, and I'm not interested anyway, delete
d) I can't help, but I am interested, keep it until the thread completes, and if there is a solution, save it

So, I don't care about the implementation as long as it meets my requirements, otherwise I simply must opt out. I hope that doesn't happen with my favorite community, Struts.

Thanks

--
James Mitchell
EdgeTech, Inc.