On 2/17/06, Ted Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 2/17/06, Martin Cooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Is the Struts Action Library what the Struts Classic release page on the
> > wiki is about? If not, I'm now quite confused about what Struts Action
> > Framework, Struts Action Library and Struts Classic are.
>
> From the release plan:
>
> * Struts Classic 1.3.0 is a "bootstrap" initiative to extract  seven
> new Struts subprojects from Struts 1.2.8.
>
> * Each subproject will be available as an independant distribution
>
> * The set of JARs created or used by all seven subprojects will be
> available in one convenient ZIP archive.
>
> * When a subproject has a new GA release, the library distribution
> would be updated, and the version counter incremented.

Right. That references "Struts Classic" and "the library distribution". But
it doesn't indicate whether those are the same thing or not, and certainly
doesn't answer my questions. It was in response to seeing "Classic" still in
the wiki page that I initially brought this up as a reply to the wiki change
message.

So here are the terms I believe we should be using:

* Struts Action Framework - The framework in general, including all relevant
subprojects
* Struts Action Library - A numbered collection of versioned subprojects
* Struts Classic - In the trash can. We don't use this term, ever again.

> IMO, such a tag is going to be the only reliable way to connect the
> version
> > number to its precise content.
>
> Per the release plan, the Library is not going to be "versioned". The
> releases underlying the JARs already have releases. We decided to give
> it a counter instead.

That's fine. A tag doesn't have to relate to a version, it's just a tag. But
tell me how you're going to check out the source that corresponds to Struts
Action Library 1.3.1_04 without dredging through that bundle of jars and
doing individual checkouts of all of the separate subprojects.

The Library is *not* a a release. It's a set of compatible
> dependencies. Many people don't need or want the full distribution.
> All they want is the JARs, and so that's what the Library provides:
> Just the JARs. It's really no different than the Library distribution
> that we provide with 1.2 and prior.

Right. But we still need a way to grab all of the sources that match that
library. That was simple with 1.2 because we used the version tag. It should
be as simple for 1.3 using the ordinal for the library as the tag.

--
Martin Cooper

If someone wants to setup such a tag, feel free. I don't see that it