George,

You misunderstand me. I am not against using alpha/beta Struts
in production; I think Ted was very astute to point out that ASF
"eats its own dog food" to display that the Foundation puts out
provable software. Take for example how the ASF websites are
all using the latest Apache 2.2.0 HTTPD release; they were
using 2.1.x beta before it went GA.

The emphasis on my "alpha/beta" was because there seemed
to be hesitancy to break bleeding edge features because
"it was in production" for some people. Now, I disagree with
that philosophy; I believe pre-production releases come with
a "use at your own risk" kind of deal and the developers
make no guarantees about API during this development phase.
If you use it, the reponsibility is purely on the early adopters,
not the software developers, to maintain their unreleased
features. This is how I believe Struts 1.3.x should be handled.

However, I don't have the keys to drive the Big Decisions :-)
But I am happy to express my disagreement on what I think might be
awkward philosophies, in the hope something good might come out
of them.

Paul