On Fri, March 17, 2006 9:15 am, Ted Husted said:
> Anytime anyone says something like "I don't want to do this work
> unless it's going to be accepted to the distribution", then the first
> thing I think is that this person is volunteering for the wrong
> reasons, and, if so, it would be better if they didn't volunteer to do
> the work.

I used to say this sort of thing, but I have come to see your point here
and largely agree.

However, you seem to leave room for another possibility, by using the
phrase "if so" here, and I think that's good, because I don't think it's
an either-or proposition... For example, I don't think I've ever said
"tell me this will be accepted or I won't do it", but certainly I've
looked for support for an idea among committers before putting in effort,
and I don't see this as a problem.  Someone can want to contribute out of
an altrusitic mindset, want to see a project move forward in a certain way
out of a desire to do good, and for them it might be perfectly valid to
not want to wind up wasting their time doing something that was never
going to be accepted.

Not all good ideas come from scratching an itch is my point.  I think it's
fair to be weary of an idea not born of that, but it doesn't automatically
make it a bad idea, and it doesn't automatically mean the person doesn't
have good/non-selfish intentions at heart.

Let's not let this thread go any further OT than this though... I still
give my non-binding +1 for GA :)

> -Ted.

Frank