Yeah, I read that post, and while interesting, I'm not sure it would hold much value, particularly for Action 2 applications.

Basically, the approach intercepts the usual Faces processing at the start, turning the lifecycle into one used by Action 1. Action 2, based on WebWork, doesn't have a predefined workflow process, leaving that job up to interceptor chains. This allows you to customize the completely workflow for a single action or groups of actions (called packages). In fact, you could argue that perhaps JSF should be implemented as Action 2 interceptors :)

The two advantages mentioned, navigation and EL, are debatable. Action 2 uses Results, allowing for each action to specify one or more results which could be a simple JSP forward, a Velocity template, or even a Jasper reports. As I understand JSF navigation, the results are simple request dispatches, harking back to Action 1-type functionality. Using EL, on the other hand, I personally don't see as a great benefit. The new unified EL lacks many of the key features that makes EL and OGNL in particular, so attractive. For example, OGNL supports method invocation, type conversion, and projection, features, AFAICT, aren't supported by EL and won't ever be. Still, one of our goals in Action 2 is to make the EL pluggable, so in the future, developers can choose between the unified EL and OGNL, and perhaps other options.

The only advantage I can see of this approach is to allow developers to write backing beans, using the same FacesContext as other pages that fully use JSF, but even then, Action 2 actions are POJO's and support arbitrary method invocation already, so the remaining advantage would be the FacesContext consistency.

I'm not a JSF expert, so perhaps I'm missing something big. I still see the areas ripe for collaboration are annotations and efforts to make JSF backing beans and Action 2 Actions useable in both frameworks. Also, I was only half kidding about implementing JSF as Action 2 Interceptors... ;)

Don

Sean Schofield wrote:
[Moving this aspect of the discussion from myfaces to struts list ...]