On 4/6/06, Don Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> We'll get out a unified Action 1 release yet :)

I think it's just about ready for 1.3.2.  Since I haven't ever
released with Maven 2, I wasn't quite ready to try it against the
Struts repo without seeing it once through somewhere else.

I'm practicing release:prepare against an import of struts-action in
the ASF test repo:
   https://svn.apache.org/repos/test/struts/struts-action/trunk/
and with a "test" Maven repository:
   http://cvs.apache.org/builds/struts/maven/test-repo/

The struts-action-parent pom has been modified (<scm>,
<distributionManagement>, and <repository>) to point at those
locations rather than the usual snapshot and svn repos:
   https://svn.apache.org/repos/test/struts/struts-action/trunk/pom.xml

So far it looks good, except that the first time I tried it, I didn't
create a 'tags' directory in the right place, so release:prepare died
when it tried to do the tag.  After moving things around I couldn't
get back to where I started, so I had to re-import.

The code in the ASF test repo is ready to try again if someone else
would like to pick this up, or if you're comfortable enough with the
process to do it against the Struts repo, that's also an option. :)

I do know that Maven is going to completely reformat all the poms the
first time we do this, so be prepared for a big diff when it's really
only changing the version numbers.

I'm still not sure how we're going to create the 'assembly' for the
distribution and make sure that the jars in it are exactly the same as
the ones that got deployed to the repo.  I think checking out the tag
and running 'mvn -P pre-assembly assembly:assembly' will do it,
because the artifacts will have been installed locally when they were
deployed.  (Just don't 'mvn install' from the tag, or you'll overwrite
and potentially change them.)

Here are my notes on the process so far:
 * http://wiki.wsmoak.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Maven/Release

And the Struts Wiki page where I'll hope we'll come up with a
procedure, plus the Maven guide to releasing:
 * http://wiki.apache.org/struts/StrutsMavenRelease
 * http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-releasing.html

--
Wendy