So you are suggesting Tiles be decoupled from Struts Action and Shale
so that it can be compiled independent of these modules?  Definite +1
and this was my impression all along as well.

As for top level project, I agree that Tiles probably belongs here but
I'm not opposed.  For me the main thing is that Tiles should be
decoupled from the Action framework.  MyFaces Tomahawk currently
requires the full struts jar in order to provide Tiles support.

Sean